Port Wine Sauce
- Pour the olive oil in a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and chopped bacon. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, stir well, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and chopped thyme. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the port wine, beef stock, and tomato sauce. Increase heat to medium-high to bring to a boil. Then simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Strain the sauce over a bowl with a fine strainer.
- Use a degreasing cup to remove the grease from the sauce.
- Pour the strained and degreased sauce into a sauce pan and reduce by 1/2 over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste and the sauce is ready to be serve!
- If you don’t have a degreaser cup, place the strained sauce in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours. The fat at the top will harden and you can then remove it with a slotted spoon.
- If you like a thicker sauce, increase cooking time by 3-5 minutes. You can also thicken with a teaspoon of butter mixed with 1 teaspoon of flour. Add to the boiling sauce while stirring well for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon C&H Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, loosely packed or 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste