Pasta with Spicy Tomato Sauce (pasta alla' Arrabbiata)
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add the pasta and undercook by two minutes as per the suggested time printed on the package. We will finish cooking the pasta in the sauce for the perfect al dente consistency.
- While the pasta is cooking make the sauce.
- In large sauce pan add the oil and cook over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes and the garlic. Stir well until the garlic starts to brown, one to two minutes. Add two tablespoons of parsley to the pan and stir well, be careful and move gently as there will be some splash back with the hot oil.
- Now add the tomato sauce, chicken stock and bring to a boil whilst stirring occasionally for five minutes.
- When the pasta has finished cooking add it to the simmering sauce and cook for three minutes. Stir thoroughly to completely coat the pasta and until most of the sauce has been absorbed by the pasta.
- Now turn off the heat, add the cheese and stir it into the pasta until all the cheese has been absorbed by the pasta and sauce mixture.
- Serve in individual dishes and top with more fresh parsley and cheese.
- 1 pound pasta, penne or rigatoni
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (for really spicy use a full teaspoon but really think before you do it!)
- 4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ¾ cup chicken stock (or pasta water)
- 4 tablespoons Romano or parmesan cheese